When planning a relocation from CA to NJ, it’s essential to give yourself ample time to pack and prepare for the move. However, the timeframe for packing can vary depending on several factors. Some of them are the size of your home, the number of belongings you have, personal preferences, etc. So, to make packing efficient and complete it like a pro, you need to start this job on time! Therefore, to find out how far in advance you should start packing for California to New Jersey relocation, you might want to continue reading this text!
You see, considering you are about to move to another state, it is pretty important to stick to the schedule! Only then, you’ll be able to properly prep for leaving California for New Jersey. Also, that will give you plenty of time to take care of other moving assignments such as housing, finding movers, and so on.
So, when is the best time to start packing for California to New Jersey relocation?
Well, you should begin this process at least 4-6 weeks before the move! Beginning this early allows you to approach the task in a systematic and organized manner. Also, you’ll be able to reduce stress and ensure a smoother transition. During this period, you can declutter and sort your belongings. Decide which items you want to keep, donate, sell, or discard. This process helps you minimize the number of things you’ll need to pack and transport across the country. Once you take care of that, you should also start gathering packing supplies such as boxes, tape, wrapping materials, and packing paper. These items will be crucial for protecting your belongings during the move. So, consider acquiring different box sizes, tools, etc.
Additionally, use this time to research and book any necessary moving services or truck rentals. And since you are moving to another state, perhaps it’s best to work with experts on this project. They can organize a smooth transfer of your furniture and inventory to New Jersey, so you won’t have anything to worry about. Thanks to them, you can relocate without stress knowing your stuff will reach the new home in flawless shape!
3-4 weeks before your move to New Jersey
Around 3-4 weeks before your planned move from California to New Jersey, it’s recommended to kick-start the packing process. During this time, focus on packing non-essential items that you can live without for a few weeks. This could include out-of-season clothing, books, decor, and kitchenware that you don’t use regularly. Also, to pack efficiently, collect some top packing tips for moving long-distance. Of course, while packing, don’t forget to take inventory of your belongings and consider creating a checklist or taking photos for insurance purposes. During this period it’s also a good idea to notify relevant parties of your upcoming move. So, contact utility providers, and the postal service, and change your address with the appropriate authorities.
Around 2 weeks before your move, it’s important to tackle the following tasks
- Pack items that you use less frequently but still want to bring with you. Those may include extra linens, off-season sports equipment, and additional kitchen appliances. And all you have to do is to learn what essential moving supplies you should have before your next move, so you can begin packing them.
- Also, you should take care of medical-related tasks. If you have any regular medical appointments or prescriptions, ensure that you have enough medication to last through the move and arrange for any necessary refills. Also, notify your healthcare providers of your upcoming relocation and request transferring medical records if needed.
- Make sure to arrange for childcare and pet care as well during the moving process. This may involve finding a trusted babysitter, or pet sitter, or arranging for temporary accommodation for them.
What to pack 1 week before your California to New Jersey relocation?
During this week, you should pack the bulk of your belongings. So, prepare your furniture for transport, large items, etc. Also, during this time, you should get your suitcase or overnight bag ready for a move. Pack enough clothing if you are moving from California to New Jersey with toddlers, toiletries, and other essential items to cover your needs during the transition period. And properly dispose of any hazardous materials that are not allowed to be transported, such as flammable substances, propane tanks, or chemicals. If you are not sure how to do it, contact your local waste management facility for guidance on safe disposal methods.
When you take care of that, one more time, make sure to double-check and confirm any arrangements you have made with moving companies, truck rentals, or other service providers involved in your relocation.
Here’s what you should do a few days before the move
- For starters, set aside a box or suitcase with essential items you’ll need immediately upon arriving in New Jersey. This could include important documents, medication, a change of clothes, toiletries, and any necessary electronics. Also, make sure to keep this box easily accessible and separate from the rest of your packed belongings.
- As the moving day approaches, contact your movers or rental truck providers to confirm the details of your move. Ensure that the date, time, and logistics are all in order. Of course, it’s a good idea to double-check any necessary paperwork, contracts, or insurance information as well.
- Also, prepare your home in California for your leave. Take care of any remaining tasks such as cleaning, organizing the space, etc.
When you take care of that, disconnect utilities at your current residence. If you have any appliances that will be transported, empty and clean them thoroughly. And if you’re traveling from California to New Jersey separately from your belongings, make sure your travel arrangements are in order!